2020

2020

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption - Laura Hillenbrand I actually felt a little guilty for not particularly liking this book. The unending trials that the subject, Louie Zamperini, had to endure at the hands of both the sea and his fellow man, were truly biblical. Page after page and chapter after chapter of endless torment, torture, fear and abuse were difficult enough to read about. I can't imagine how any of these guys endured. But, honestly, I began fairly early on in the story, to find it kind of boring. The author provided no relief and I felt guilty because Louie certainly wasn't getting any. But one of the reasons most readers keep reading any story is for the reward of discovering "what happens next". In this case there was very little reward -- just more of the same. I also came away with the impression that Louie was indeed "broken", as any human would be. His recovery was remarkable, if not miraculous, because he had been broken. Maybe a better title would have been "Restored".
The historical facts of life in Japanese prison camps was terrifying, but interesting to someone like myself who was hearing much of it for the first time. I plowed through to the end but found it vaguely dissatisfying. As much as I like survival stories, this one felt like a forced march.